Dhaka University impossible for English medium students no more

HAPPINESS isn’t something you experience, it’s something you remember (Oscar Levant, American actor, pianist and composer, 1906-1972). The experience of getting admitted to Dhaka University’s business studies faculty despite being an English medium student will always play a significant role in my life. The biggest role in this success was that of my parents, who supported me during the pressure I was going through at that time.
The education system in Bangladesh has three segments until the twelfth standard - Bangla, English and Madrassah mediums. While the Bangla and Madrassah medium students have an established admission procedure for the fiercely competitive and esteemed DU admission tests, English medium students face difficulty. The main reasons include lack of information, no guidance, a completely different curriculum, no access to study materials and sample questions papers for the admission test and misconception among English medium students regarding access to DU. Due to the mediocre quality of most local private universities and the increased costs of education locally and globally, talented English medium students suffer poorly.
Consequently, it seemed difficult to fulfil my parents’ dream of getting myself admitted into DU after my A Level examination. Then I came across BridgeWee, which prepares English medium students for DU admission test. It provided me with all the resources and inspiration that were required for the admission test. During the preparation, I had to think about all the other options. ‘Was I making the right choice?’ — this particular question used to roam around in my head all the time. There were times when I even thought of applying abroad and almost did, but at the end I decided to stay and study here. Since then, I had always had a doubt about my decision. I had also prepared for IBA admission test because I did not want to put all my eggs in one basket. I was very confident about both the exams, but unfortunately, couldn’t make it to IBA. However, when I got my admission result for the business faculty, I felt like the whole world was in my hands. I was selected from more than 32,000 candidates! I felt like I was the happiest person in the world. After one week of classes in the University of Dhaka, I knew my answer, and it was a big YES — I had made the right decision.
DU has a vibrant campus life with an amazing learning culture. Indeed, you can learn a lot even by walking through the campus where the brightest minds of the country unite. I am proud that I study in a university which played pivotal role in our language movement as well as in our liberation war. Moreover, the business studies faculty stands apart from other business schools of the country. It won Battle of Minds and DCCI Vision 2030 Competition last year. It has also performed wonderfully in HSBC Young Entrepreneurs Award and other international competitions such as Global Social Entrepreneurship Competition. Today, the whole world depends on business; this very competitive sector provides lots of job opportunities. So, my message to A Level students would be to unleash and utilise their potentials for this faculty — one of the best business schools of the country.
Read the original story on the daily New Age

No comments:

Post a Comment